[MPlayer-users] vidix on an AMD Radeon HD 6310

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Sat Feb 4 15:21:56 CET 2012

Hello!

Thanks for all the replies.

On 04/02/12 12:22:24, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2012, at 01:36, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> > <lynx.abraxas <at> freenet.de> writes:
> >
> >> I got mplayer‐export‐2012‐01‐21 compiled with
> >>
> >> ./configure ‐‐enable‐svgalib_helper ‐‐with‐vidix‐drivers=radeon
> >
> > Is there a reason why you are not using ‐vo xv ?
>
> I guess the idea is to play something on the console, without X.
>  I  don’t  think  it actually works for PC hardware, but the only up‐to‐date
option I know for that is framebuffer OpenGL ES.

Yes, I’d like to play videos full screen, with as little load to  the  cpu  as
possible and without X.
My  8  years  old  laptop  (radeon  fire 9000 mobility, p4, running linux from
scratch) got stolen, so I’m trying to get back to only 20‐30%  CPU  load  when
viewing a DVD,DVB‐T or some x264 video with my new one running gentoo.
The closest I got with

mplayer -af volnorm -vf pp=md,screenshot,scale=1280:-2 -vo fbdev2 dvb://

but this needs around 50% of one CPU. With fbdev (not fbdev2) the text overlay
flickers badly such that subtitles are no joy. This was all  no  problem  with
cvidix on my old laptop:-(

Is there any way to achieve all this without cvidix?

Thanks for all Your help and hints
Lynx