[MPlayer-users] converting a .mov file with mencoder

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Feb 8 20:21:28 CET 2012

Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Nicolas George wrote:
>
> > The file is not in MOV format, it is MPEG-TS, and mplayer
> > detects it as such.

Unfortunately, it is a mov file;-((

>     strange: the command "file file.mov" gives:
>         file.mov: Apple QuickTime movie (unoptimized)
>
> > Now you can encode the file using ffmpeg.
>
>    yes, but I have the same problem with the aspect ratio,
>    even with the -s option:
>       ffmpeg -s 800x440  -f mpegts -i file.mov file.mpg
>    and I don't understand why mplayer says:
>         VIDEO:  MPEG2  480x576    for file.mov
>         VIDEO:  MPEG1  480x576    for file.mpg
>    an other detail: with ffmpeg, the first frames are corruped
>    (during about 2 seconds) but not with mencoder.

The actual resolution is 480x576 (and you cannot change the input
resolution for a mpeg2video stream), shown by both MPlayer and FFmpeg,
the aspect ratio is 16/9 and is correctly recognised by FFmpeg,
and is is encoded correctly if you choose avi, mov or mpegts as
output format, it does not work correctly for mpeg program streams,
you can use -vf scale though.
I cannot reproduce any corrupted frames with FFmpeg, please provide
complete, uncut console output (either here or on ffmpeg-user).

Carl Eugen