[MPlayer-users] Selecting the audio device in OS/X

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Thu Feb 9 02:19:04 CET 2012

* towb at gmx.net on Wednesday, February 08, 2012 at 23:21:39 +0100
> On 08.02.2012, at 17:06, Christian Ebert wrote:
>>> mplayer -ao coreaudio:device_id=list
>>
>> Only this errors out:
>
> mplayer always needs something to play, even when you just want some auxiliary output, which is what the printout tells you. Maybe I should have written:
>
> mplayer -ao coreaudio:device_id=list xy.mp4
>
> which works fine for me with USB audio devices.

Ok, except that mplayer -ao coreaudio:help xy.mp4 works more or
less according to the man page without error, device_id=list
spits out:

Could not parse arguments at the position indicated below:
device_id=list
          ^

-ao coreaudio commandline help:
Example: mplayer -ao coreaudio:device_id=266
    open Core Audio with output device ID 266.

    device_id
        ID of output device to use (0 = default device)
    help
        This help including list of available devices.

Available output devices:
Built-in Microphone (id: 260)
Built-in Input (id: 258)
Built-in Output (id: 262)

Failed to initialize audio driver 'coreaudio:device_id=list'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

I would expect
$ mplayer -ao coreaudio:help
to work similar to
$ mplayer -ao help

\black\trash movie           _COWBOY  CANOE  COMA_
            Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php