[MPlayer-users] vidix on an AMD Radeon HD 6310

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Fri Feb 10 06:15:12 CET 2012

On 04/02/12 15:21:56, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de wrote:
> Hello!
>

> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> On 04/02/12 12:22:24, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > Is there a reason why you are not using ‐vo xv ?
> >
> > I guess the idea is to play something on the console, without X.
> >  I  don’t  think  it actually works for PC hardware, but the only up‐to‐date
> option I know for that is framebuffer OpenGL ES.
>
> Yes, I’d like to play videos full screen, with as little load to  the  cpu  as
> possible and without X.
> My  8  years  old  laptop  (radeon  fire 9000 mobility, p4, running linux from
> scratch) got stolen, so I’m trying to get back to only 20‐30%  CPU  load  when
> viewing a DVD,DVB‐T or some x264 video with my new one running gentoo.
> The closest I got with
>
> mplayer -af volnorm -vf pp=md,screenshot,scale=1280:-2 -vo fbdev2 dvb://
>
> but this needs around 50% of one CPU. With fbdev (not fbdev2) the text overlay
> flickers badly such that subtitles are no joy. This was all  no  problem  with
> cvidix on my old laptop:-(

I just noticed that using

mplayer ‐af volnorm ‐zoom ‐xy 1280 ‐vf pp=md,screenshot ‐vo fbdev2 dvb://

needs slightly less CPU. Is there a difference to scale=1280:‐2?
Apart from that one problem remains:
When the movie shows a camera sweep (i.e. there is a lot of difference between
successiv frames, e.g. camera rotates around in a room) I  get  some  kind  of
edges  (one  or  two) in the output, like some part of frame n is displayed in
the upper region and the lower region shows already frame n+1 or n+2. Is there
anything  I  can  do  against  that?  (I  tried  ‐double and ‐cache but got no
improvement).

Thanks for all Your help and hints
Lynx