[MPlayer-users] Building MPlayer on Windows

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Feb 13 21:46:22 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:37:50PM -0800, Marlon Smith wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to compile the latest nightly MPlayer build in Windows.  I did
> it in Linux, and it worked great and took about 5 minutes.  In windows,
> I've already spent about an hour digging through guides and trying
> things out with no luck.  The only guides I can find are outdated with
> broken links and steps that don't seem to work any more.
>
> Does anyone have a good guide for compiling MPlayer on Windows, or even
> cross-compiling for Windows from Linux?  Surely it can't be that
> difficult?

DOCS/tech/mingw-crosscompile.txt was an attempt at such a guide,
but it is badly outdated.
Possibly you can get some useful info out of it.
But the problem is getting all the features you'd normally want
to work.
Simply getting it to compile shouldn't be hard, but it will support
probably half or less of what you'd expect/be used to.
The main problem is that there is no package management to
install any dependencies - or in the case of cross-compiling
almost no prebuilt library packages exist for the cross-compilation
environment.