[MPlayer-users] Unable to Compile Mplayer Revision 34652

Tue Feb 14 21:56:16 CET 2012

Hi Carl Eugen Hoyos!

 On 2012.02.14 at 15:50:07 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote next:

> > -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 seems to be interesting as it's compile-time
> > only check and should have no effect on mplayer performance,
> > only on compilation time.
>
> Please send a patch!

I could make a patch which just adds this option to cflags if gnu
compiler is used (this is merely a define, so no version check is
needed; though it have an effect only on gcc > 4 and not too ancient glibc).
Explanation of _FORTIFY_SOURCE (and why 2) is here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-tools-list/2004-September/msg00002.html

It won't do a full effect on mplayer because often custom memcpy is
used, but normal memcpy and strcpy are still used in lot of dangerous
places like stream code.

Or I could make more complex patch which adds configure option for
simple hardening (like this) without performance impact, probably
enabled by default, and configure option for stronger hardening with
possibly slight performance impact (with stack protection activated). Do
you think something like that will be accepted?

Oh, and thanks for commit, Reimar.

--

Vladimir