[MPlayer-users] No fun with sandy bridge on linux

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Feb 23 22:16:09 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:36:11PM +0100, Oliver Seitz wrote:
> I'd like to try that. Thing is, I have never seen a fluent video via GL.
>
> mplayer -vo gl video.avi
>
> does not tear... but it does not draw more than one frame per
> second.

-vo gl has a lot of options, so you probably should try some
experimentation. In particular with the yuv= option.
However it is hard to understand why you should have performance
problems with it, since -vo gl works just fine for me with the really
crappy GMA945 graphics.
(Admittedly neither the video nor display had HD resolution, that
might become a huge issue once the rather tiny memory bandwidth
of integrated solutions becomes saturated).

> The other method using VA-API seems to be quite impossible. MPlayer
> support for VA-API, which never really started, seem to have come to
> an end. Or am I wrong, and there is some way how MPlayer can use
> VA-API?

Someone once maintained a patchset, but it might no longer work with
up-to-date MPlayer and several issues were never fixed in it.