[MPlayer-users] libavcodec (internal) won't use experimental codecs ( ffh264crystalhd ) on linux

tongue fish tonguefish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:26:00 CET 2012

platform is linux (debian testing/wheezy), using latest subversion ( svn
checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer ).

I've been using a local build of mplayer specifically for crystalhd
support, and it had worked fine.  However, a system lib was upgraded and my
mplayer would no longer link.  So, I figured I would rebuild, similar as to
how I had done before.

However, now it appears libavcodec refuses to use any codecs it considers
experimental.

Forced video codec: ffh264crystalhd
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
libavcodec version 54.4.100 (internal)
[NULL @ 0xed8080]Codec is experimental but experimental codecs are not
enabled, see -strict -2
Could not open codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34363248.

"-strict -2" doesn't seem to make any sense for mplayer -lavdopts (however,
it would seem to be almost relevant for mencoder -lavcopts which would
enable experimental codecs).

Further, mplayer itself considers ffh264crystalhd to be in a "working"
state:

$ mplayer -vc help|grep ffh264crystalhd
ffh264crystalhd ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264 (CrystalHD)
 [h264_crystalhd]

It seems to me there should be some way around this, either at compile-time
or run-time.  If there is, I'm at a loss to find it.

As an interim "solution", I've taken to editing
mplayer/ffmpeg/libavcodec/crystalhd.c and removing CODEC_CAP_EXPERIMENTAL
from .capabilities, where appropriate.