[MPlayer-users] Listening to RTMP live streams with mplayer

Rodrigo Campos rodrigo at sdfg.com.ar
Wed Feb 29 16:31:58 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm listening to RTMP live streams with mplayer. I've installed mplayer on my debian box
from debian-multimedia (SVN-r34643) and for it to work I need to use instead of
"<url>" as the url, "<url> live=1".

Then I tried on an ubuntu 11.10 box and it didn't work (and ldd `which mplayer`
shows it is linked against librtmp). I tried mplayer from 12.04 but it wasn't
linked against librtmp and it didn't work either.

I tried then compiling from source (r34771) and it works, but just if I use
"<url>". If I use "<url> live=1" as the url, it does not work (compn on IRC
realised this :-D)

To be clear, on my debian box with -r34643 from debian-multimedia I run:

mplayer "rtmp://streamingrtmp.sion.com/live/vorterix live=1"

(the stream is not working right now, although it was a few days ago)

On the ubuntu box with r34771 compiled from source, I need to run:

mplayer "rtmp://streamingrtmp.sion.com/live/vorterix"

My question is which way is the way to run it. Do I need to run them differently
because they were compiled differently or in newer versions I don't need to
specify "live=1" ?

Thanks a lot,

Rodrigo