[MPlayer-users] How programmatically determine the correct one of two english soundtracks for an encode

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat Jul 7 10:36:52 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:31:07PM +0200, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
> > My "guess" is that typically lowered number tracks are preferred.  But
> > I'm not entirely sure...
>
> Unfortunately it's not the rule - I happen to have an X-Files DVD loaded right
> now and stream id 128 is the commentary on a few episodes, while the other
> have normal audio there.

Why not encode them both? I am in the process of ripping all my DVDs. I
had done so before, but because of hardware failure I lost several TB of
DVDs. The first time around I ripped them to avi and did just the English
language and included the Dutch subtitles. I did not encode the comments.

I surely missed the comments as sometimes I thought it was nice to have.

So the second time around I went mkv and include all sound tracks and all
subtitles. As HD prices are what they are, even size does not matter, so I
just rip it in full quality.

So instead of select what language, I slect them all. If I have them
included, I can later decide if I want to listen to them or not. If they
are not included, I will have limited myself of that choice.

I must say that I use Handbrake and not mencoder or mplayer. The reason is
that it is much easier to use for ripping. (Actually I use HandBrakeCLI)
For me it is a better tool for this specific task. mplayer and mencoder
are much better for other tasks.

This is just an idea and I am fully aware that other situations will
require different solutions. I am also aware that this is not an answer to
the original question.

houghi
                                                    -- Blair Houghton