[MPlayer-users] How programmatically determine the correct one of two english soundtracks for an encode

Graham Lawrence gl00637 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:14:21 CEST 2012

> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 23:21:48 +0200
> From: houghi <houghi at houghi.org>

> What do you do with the ISOs? I am purely interested in that. I am able to
> move stuff around using extentions and `file` to see what filetype it is.
>
> So how do you turn your iso file into a movie?

I handle them just as I do vob files.  As far as I'm aware, the only
necessary differentiation is the path provided for mplayer's
"-dvd-device".
For vobs it is
-dvd-device '/path/to/directory'  (containing vobs)
For isos
-dvd-device '/path/to/filename.iso

> Especially interested if
> you have multiple languages and multiple subtitles.

I'm only interested in the one language, so I regard multiple
subtitles as a nuisance.  As I've learned in this session I have to
deal with multiple soundtracks.  Currently I extract the possibles in
a for loop, then later merge the desired soundtrack with the video.
When it finishes the current batch I'm going to try Nicholas's patch,
but as I watch so much antique cinema I fear such may not include the
necessary info to directly identify the desired soundtrack.

> What I do is `dd` a dvd to e.g. "/share/isos/movie name.iso". Those are
> the ones I turn into mkv. The ripping part script I have placed here:
> http://houghi.eu/s/DVD

I also use dd.
>From your "http://houghi.eu/s/DVD" Handbrake seems very different to
mencoder.  Does it do most of the decision-making for you?  For
example, things like combing and telecine, does it handle such
automatically?  My ripping script is entirely preoccupied with
ferreting out nitty-gritty details to build mencoder's command lines.
I've posted the text of it to
http://goringsacredcows.org/mencode.html
but they don't update in real time, the page won't be accessible for 24 hours