[MPlayer-users] udp sync over wifi

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jul 21 12:24:00 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 01:06:52PM +0000, Richard Markiewicz wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson <at> cox.net> writes:
>

> > You can test it by plugging the laptop into the wired net.
> >

> Yes, over wired net it works great. So the issue is clearly wireless.
>
> I guess my question is: is there something I can tune/change to make this work
> better over wireless? Is the specific bottleneck bandwidth, latency, or both?

You could try to capture the UDP packages at the client and try to find
anything suspicious.
I came only up with one guess (since you claim the latency is fairly
ok): Somehow the UDP packets arrive in a different order than they were
sent. I believe the code cannot handle that currently.
Currently the only relevant tunable is udp-seek-threshold, but it does
not apply when the timestamps jump backwards.
If the issue is what I guessed, I think the fix is to add a counter
field to the timestamp data sent and ignore outdated ones.
Or something like that.