[MPlayer-users] "FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver" when running mencoder with -ovc lavc

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 1 17:16:14 CET 2012

On 02/29/2012 01:57 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2012, at 05:57, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> On 02/28/2012 02:33 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>>> Should be fixed now, that was just a check in MPlayer that had no reason
>>> to exist at all, needed only be removed.
>>
>> Yep, seems to work fine now.
>>
>> Thanks for the fix; it makes sense based on what I could figure out of the
>> code, but I haven't been following the details of either MPlayer or FFmpeg
>> development for some time now.
>>
>> D'you happen to know when the switch that made this start failing took
>> place? I had a quick look, but I couldn't spot an obviously relevant commit
>> in the logs.
>
> It's not one, it is one per codec. Look for commit messages like "switch to
> encode2".

I *did*. The most recent occurrence of 'encode2' in the MPlayer 'svn log'
output, prior to the one from the commit that fixed this, is from a commit by
Diego in 2009.

Also, I'm now getting a different error when trying to encode in to ffv1 with
vpass=3, which at a glance looks like it might be related:

====
videocodec: libavcodec (720x480 fourcc=31564646 [FFV1])
[VE_LAVC] High quality encoding selected (non-realtime)!
Assertion s->version>=2 failed at libavcodec/ffv1.c:994
Aborted
====

Do I need to report that to one of the two libav* projects (and isn't *that* a
headache), or is it likely to be due to a problem on the MPlayer side of things?

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
   - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger