[MPlayer-users] xinit

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 11:07:38 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Michal Filka <michal.filka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to run mplayer using xinit. When I run it this way: xinit
> mplayer -fs <mpeg> it seems that mplayer is running but I've no video
> output (black screen) and keyboard control is not working. When I kill
> it I see: (EE) open /dev/fd0: No such file or directory. I've tried
> couple of -vo setups but with no luck.
>
> I work with Linux Debian Squeezy (however I'm able to get it run this
> way on openSUSE).
>
> If I run mplayer from gnome's xterm it works fine. So I suppose it is
> sort of video output misconfiguration.
>
> Thank you for a help
> Michal Filka

I run mplayer from xinit on my TV, works just fine. Here is my
.xinitrc for example:

/usr/local/bin/xset s noblank
/usr/local/bin/xset s off
/usr/local/bin/xset -dpms
/usr/local/bin/xsetroot -cursor /etc/X11/hide-cursor/EmptyCursor
/etc/X11/hide-cursor/EmptyCursor
/usr/local/bin/xli -onroot -fullscreen -fillscreen -quiet
/home/tom/.xres/wallpaper_212.ppm
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -idle -slave -input
file=/home/tom/.mplayer/cmd.fifo >~/.mplayer/out.log 2>&1

This is a FreeBSD system, so your paths may differ on linux.

Cheers

Tom