[MPlayer-users] dvpro detection/csc problem

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Tue Mar 6 20:58:18 CET 2012

Andy Furniss wrote:
>> Years ago I ripped some camcorder tapes using 50mbit dvpro format as an
>> intermediate using mencoder.
>>
>> It seems that current mplayer mis-detects these as dvsd

Ignore the dvsd  - I guess 50 or 25 mbit are both dvsd.

I tested some more and encoding a test with current ffmpeg shows that
mplayer will work with -

  ffmpeg -i input -target ntsc-dv50 -aspect 4:3 -y output.dv

but fails to play properly default/pal
  ffmpeg -i input -target dv50 -aspect 4:3 -y output.dv
  ffmpeg -i input -target pal-dv50 -aspect 4:3 -y output.dv

Current mencoder also doesn't make a file that mplayer can play - it
does, however, unlike ffmpeg make a file that xine and vlc can play.

mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=dvvideo:format=422P -o
out.dv inyuy2