[MPlayer-users] Hardcoding subtitles with mencoder / mplayer

Jos van Riswick josvanr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:26:28 CET 2012

hello

for whoever whats to know I found out what happened:

when using mplayer to play movie.subtitles.mpeg,
mplayer automatically looks for a subtitles file like
movie.subtitles.ass or movie.subtitles.srt. When it is
there, it displays those subtitles in some standard
large font. So in my first invocation of mencoder,
(see below)
no subtitles were actually hardcoded, but I thought they
were because I did see them when playing the movie.
But mplayer was actually displaying them 'on the fly'.

In the second invocation of mencoder below, the small
font subtitles were hardcoded. But when playing the movie
in mplayer, the large subtitles were added over that on
the fly, because the srt and ass file with the same name
as the movie were still there ! (:p fiew, confusing)

Anywayz, hope this helps someone....

josvanr