[MPlayer-users] is there some method to save a streaming file to local file ?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Thu May 24 07:33:00 CEST 2012

Am 24.05.2012 07:24, schrieb Reimar Döffinger:
> On 24 May 2012, at 05:38, Oliver Seitz<info at vtnd.de>  wrote:
>> Am 24.05.2012 05:05, schrieb lean fu:
>>> Hi list:
>>>
>>> is there some method that support to download and save video files on local
>>> disk synchronously  while  playback a streaming file ?  thanks!
>>
>> No, there isn't. You can save a stream using -dumpstream, but the downloading MPlayer can not play it while dumping.
>
> Actually there is a keyboard binding to toggle dumping while playing. It doesn't work with all formats though.

Oh, didn't know that :-) Thanks!

>> You can, however, start another instance of MPlayer to play the downloading file, while the first MPlayer is still downloading.
>
> That is of course an option, too.

And it is well-tested by me. I often use it on not-live but
streaming-only sources to have something like "unlimited cache".

> One could try something crazy like dumping to a fifo and using tee to duplicate it into both stdin of another MPlayer and a file on disk.

Dump to fifo hadn't come to my mind... I thought of playing to yuv4mpeg
and raw audio in pipes, but that would be a request for lost audio/video
sync.

Thanks for the hints :-)

Greets,
Kiste