[MPlayer-users] Playing a DVD with -vf pullup without duplicated frames

gillou.ray at free.fr gillou.ray at free.fr
Sat Nov 10 13:07:45 CET 2012

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:02:31 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

>  <gillou.ray <at> free.fr> writes:
>
> > In other words, I’m comparing this (smooth, 23.976 FPS):
> >   mencoder dvd://1 -o video.avi -vf pullup,softskip
> >            -fps 30000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001 -oac ...
> >
> > To this (choppy, 29.976 FPS):
> >   mplayer dvd://1 -vf pullup
>
> Sorry if I miss something but is there a reason
> why you are not using the same options for
> mplayer as for mencoder?

No problem. That’s because mplayer doesn’t seem to be able to do the
same thing as mencoder here. E.g. if I do mplayer -fps 24000/1001 it
will just slow down the playback (and desync with audio) while keeping
the duplicated frames. However, what I want is to make mplayer to drop
the duplicated frames *so that* the framerate gets lowered.

The manpage states that softskip is only useful with mencoder. Just to
be sure I tested it with mplayer and as expected it doesn’t do anything.

About -ofps and -fps, these are mentioned in the manpage in inverse
telecine filters, it’s part of that process. Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_telecine#2:3_pulldown if you’re
unfamiliar with this topic (we are reversing what’s explained there).
Actually, -fps is not strictly needed because as mplayer, mencoder can
read the FPS value from the input file. But -ofps is needed, and it’s
an mencoder-only option.

		— gillux