[MPlayer-users] MPlayer can't disable the screensaver in Arch Linux, Fedora 18

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Sun Nov 11 10:23:35 CET 2012

Le Sun, 11 Nov 2012 09:50:12 +0800 (CST),
funicorn at gmail.com a écrit :

> The command should be like this, I guess SimulateUserActivity is a
> socket opened to dbus by gnome-screensaver ?
>
> dbus-send --session --dest=org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver
> --type=method_call \ /ScreenSaver
> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.SimulateUserActivity --

For what I can see (the mix of dbus and method_call), this mess is one
of the numerous regressions caused by polkit (startx that doesnt start
X anymore, root password needed to print something or to mount an USB
drive, and so on...). On gentoo, a very easy way to get back the old and
working behaviours, is to put

USE="-consolekit -policykit -pulseaudio -udisks -udisks2 -upower"

and to update your system the usual way. At the same time, you will
get ride of the whole of gnome including pulseaudio -:)

polkit is a totally non manageable mess (for a normal user or a
sysadmin that doesn't know java script) that force several idiotic and
very critical features into your system. This is so bad than it can be
compared to a malware, something like a break-my-system-ware.tm

In the real world, and that's the real question, the functionalities
provided by polkit are only needed by big paranoid companies that
doesn't trust their working forces. So, the real question become why,
freedesktop and gnome want to force everybody to use this crap?

GNU/Linux is about freedom, and polkit is about controlling your
freedom.

Ciao,
Dominique

> At 2012-11-11 09:06:17,"piruthiviraj natarajan"
> <piruthiviraj at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> heartbeat-cmd="dbus-send --session
> >> --dest=org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver --type=method_call /ScreenSaver
> >> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.SimulateUserActivity"
> >>

> >This doesn't help either. What version of gnome do you use?

"We have the heroes we deserve."