[MPlayer-users] Taking screen capture while recording

Keith Lawson lawsonk at libertas-tech.com
Sun Nov 11 17:30:17 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm capturing video from a USB capture device using mencoder with the
following command line:

mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:input=0 -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4 -o testcap.avi -vf pp=li,screenshot tv://

I have the need to capture still images in the application while the
video is recording but can't figure out how to do that. I tried running
the mencoder command with "-vf screenshot" hoping that I could keep a
pipe open to the command and then send "s" to capture a screenshot but
that didn't work or I've done it wrong. Is there any way to capture a
still image while recording a video using mencoder?

Thanks,
Keith.