[MPlayer-users] Mplayer-vaapi fails to compile.

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:17:46 CEST 2012

On 10/02/12 16:54, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> dE .<de.techno<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Those flags works with the official mplayer 1.1-r1 however.
> I did not want to imply that the configure options you used
> do not work.
>
> I was trying to explain that while some simply look unneeded,
> and some remove functionality that many users want, some are
> "bad" and should not be used, like forcing cpu optimizations.
>
> Carl Eugen

As you might have know, Gentoo is a source based distro, and each of
it's install (on various PCs) is not designed to be generic; so in
Gentoo when we compile source tarballs (portage does this automatically,
and that's how I get ffmpeg and mplayer from git), we use non generic
flags (-march=native) since the binaries are not intended to be used on
a different CPU; for this reason, no use adding AMD specific
instructions (3dnow*) with an Intel CPU, or adding newer ssse*
instructions for an older CPU.

Also, things becomes more complicated when you cross compile (e.g. for
ARM boards on an fast x64 processor), which's commonly done by Gentoo
users. So it's a good idea to force instructions, cause mplayer auto
detects it by default (right?).