[MPlayer-users] Capture NASA ustream with rtmpdump

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at comcast.net
Mon Oct 15 18:06:08 CEST 2012

Daniel Labarowski wrote:
> I am posting to this mailing list because rtmpdump is hosted on the MPlayer
> website. I hope that I am in the right place. I would like to use rtmpdump
> to record NASA's ustream<http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv>. All of the cool
> stuff happens early in the marning, so the ability to set a script to run
> would be nice. In the past, I have always used wirshark to sniff the rtmp
> handshake to get all of the appropriate urls. This took a lot of trial and
> error and now the header format seems to have changed and I simply can't
> make sense of it. I have attached an excerpt from the TCP stream if you
> guys want to take a crack at decoding it, but it would be nice to have a
> reliable way to grab these addresses and settings as they often change.
> Using rtmpexplorer under Windows (with rtmpsrv 2.4), I can get only "trying
> different position for client digest" messages and failed to read header /
> handshake failed messages. Using the instructions here,
> <http://stream-recorder.com/forum/use-rtmpsuck-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-t7070.html>I
> checked out the latest svn of rtmpdump a couple nights ago and gave this a
> try under ubuntu. I had to build for posix, but did eventually get things
> working. Rtmpsrv mostly responded with the same errors as
> rtmpexplorer/rtmpsrv 2.4. I did get a rtmpdump command a couple of times.
> Running this command while the stream was still open in my browser would
> give a handshake error while running the command after the streaming video
> was closed would give an error that the stream was not available. Does
> anyone know why rtmpsrv does not seem to work for NASA's ustream? Can
> anyone make sense of the tcp excerpt I've attached? Thanks! Would really
> like to keep up with the SpaceX stuff and watch the Russian launch next
> month.

I use the command line tool get_flash_videos to download NASA ustream
video. It nicely wraps up the use to rtmpdump. I know it works on
archived videos. I do not know if it works with live streams.

http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/

Go to the Source tab and download the latest git version to get current
ustream support.