[MPlayer-users] Rebuilding mplayer with different language doesn't change anything

Mon Sep 24 19:18:00 CEST 2012

Hello everybody.

This is kind of annoying thing about building mplayer: say, I want to have
mplayer that writes english messages. Since mplayer doesn't support
gettext for this, I have to rebuild.

I usually build mplayer with
--language=ru,en argument to configure.

So when I go to mplayer build dir and do
make clean
./configure <args> --language=en
after that, I see this in config.log

============ Checking for language ============
Result is: messages: en - man pages:  en - documentation:  en

However after "make" resulting mplayer binary still has russian messages
hard-coded because it didn't wipe old pre-parsed messages on "make
clean" and didn't rebuild them on ./configure. What configure wrote in
log about languages is not just meaningless, it's completely incorrect;
I don't see why it bothered even writing about it if it didn't do
anything about actually changing the language.

Is this intended / proper behaviour? Why not just wipe language cache on
configure stage? Or at least on "make clean". Having to do "make
distclean" just for that is not obvious at all.

--

Vladimir