[MPlayer-users] Dolby Digital (DTS?) 10 dB Boost for LFE channel

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Apr 11 13:26:59 CEST 2013

Wiebe Cazemier <wiebe <at> halfgaar.net> writes:

> The Dolby standard requires the LFE channel to have a 10
> dB boost when played back. For example, Wikipedia says:

(It would be better to quote the specification, wikipedia
is generally very useful but not as a reference for
codec implementation.)

> > The LFE channel is conventionally played back 10 dB
> > louder than the main channels, giving significantly
> > more recording headroom.
>
> Does mplayer (or a52dec?) apply this boost? Would it
> even be possible; won't it clip the signal?

I cannot answer the question but please note that MPlayer
does not contain a native Dolby decoder (and that the
"a52" decoder is really obsolete), FFmpeg contains a
decoder that is responsible for decoding (e)ac3 in
MPlayer and other players.

Carl Eugen