[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 13 20:56:44 CEST 2013

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 20:26:47 +0200
Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Le quartidi 24 germinal, an CCXXI, wm4 a écrit :
> > Changing a single font in the windows font folder requires a
> > full rescan, no matter if where the cache is located or how
> > it's managed. Fontconfig refuses to fix this.
>
> Fontconfig considers it is the system admin responsibility to update
> the cache after installing new fonts, possibly assisted by good admin
> tools.
>
> Considering that on a correctly administered system, normal users do
> not have write access on the system cache, I do not see how they
> could do otherwise anyway. Of course, fontconfig is designed for
> systems where the admin tools are a little bit more advances than a
> file manager.

Yeah, fontconfig does the same as you do: assume Windows is a Linux
distro. This so does not work. Windows has its internal fontcache that
is updated properly, fontconfig just does not use this (maybe it
can't). And that's when they stopped bothering. It's funny, because
AFAIK fontconfig even have gotten mail from Microsoft, because
fontconfig was responsible for so many user issues.