[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 14 00:04:04 CEST 2013

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 23:41:23 +0200
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> I just wondered one thing: are you compiling with harfbuzz library?
> If I remember correctly it is supposed to be able to replace
> fontconfig and does not need to build a font cache on Windows (though
> I might be remembering incorrectly).

AFAIK that's wrong, but the harfbuzz changes were "on the way" to
making libass work without fontconfig. This wasn't finished. You can
see the (now abandoned) work in progress here:

   http://repo.or.cz/w/libass.git/shortlog/refs/heads/fonts

I'm not sure how complete this is or how well it worked. Seems to have
some font selection logic, but no use of other OS-level font APIs.