[MPlayer-users] -vo gl not working

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Apr 14 22:05:37 CEST 2013

On 14.04.2013, at 21:58, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 14.04.2013, at 19:50, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:47:14 +0200
>> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> In that case it is almost certainly that FFmpeg issue, and my patch
>>> "Add thread-safe wrapper for get_format()." (on FFmpeg list) should
>>> fix it. Reverting my patch that moved init_vo into query_format in
>>> vd_ffmpeg should avoid that issue as well I believe, but will cause
>>> others.
>>
>> Are you sure this whole direct rendering stuff is worth the trouble?
>> Seems to be #1 regression cause, and whenever I've tested DR myself, it
>> wasn't much faster (or even slower). (I've removed DR from my fork and
>> replaced it with refcounted images. So much simpler.)
>
> Since this issue has nothing to do with DR I don't understand what your point is.

Also I suspect you only tested in your nice up-to-date system, probably even using multi-threading (which changes the performance characteristics).
While not the same thing, -dr for example gains about 10% on a Apple G4 system.
On many older systems an additional copy of the video will cost you at least 10% performance.
Nothing against optimizing also for more modern systems, but please stop the "I benchmarked on my system, so it must be fine", that should only be a last resort approach.