[MPlayer-users] Some mpeg4/xvid videos dont work with threads=2 (or more)

katiem at Safe-mail.net katiem at Safe-mail.net
Wed Apr 17 20:53:37 CEST 2013

HI, I build mplayer regularly, and test with an assortment of different media files. As from today
svn 36171 (wed 17 april) I have problems with running mplayer with threads > 1 as such:

example 1
mplayer -lavdopts threads=2 video.mp4

example 2
mplayer -lavdopts threads=2 video2.mp4

Mplayer throws these errors repeatedly:
[mpeg4 @ 0x8e939e0]decoding to AV_PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported.
[mpeg4 @ 0x8e939e0]Context scratch buffers could not be allocated due to unknown size.

If I run mplayer without  the threads switch or with threads=1 then all is ok.

I built mplayer a couple of days ago and can't recall having any problem with playing these sort of files. I've also checked with an older build  of mplayer (approx dec 2012) and no problems. Mplayer build configuration is as follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer --disable-lirc --disable-inet6 --disable-ossaudio --disable-win32dll --disable-w32threads --disable-real --disable-relocatable

The two videos mentioned above are available from http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/MPEG-4.

Thanks for a great (and usually dependable) player!