[MPlayer-users] MP4 recorded in portrait with Android phone -> OK with VLC but landscape with MPlayer/HTML5

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Apr 30 23:44:08 CEST 2013

Reimar,

On 2013-05-01 04:27, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 30.04.2013, at 17:59, Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:
> People,
>
> I have recorded a video in portrait with my Android phone (Samsung
> Galaxy Note 1 with nightly Cyanogen Mod v10.1).  After transferring the
> file to my Fedora 18 x86_64 server I find that the MP4 plays in
> landscape mode with mplayer and HTML5 (when viewed from a Fedora
> 18/Chrome laptop) but plays correctly in portrait mode with VLC - how
> does VLC know the correct orientation but MPlayer and the video driver
> with HTML do not?  I couldn't find any solutions with Googling . .
>
> MOV can have arbitrary transformation matrices that are supposed to be
> applied before displaying. MPlayer so far ignores them

OK, thanks for that info.

> I have not been able to test the HTML5 output with an OSX or Windows
> browser yet so I am not sure if it is a general problem but how can I
> ensure that the movies ALWAYS plays in portrait mode?
>
> Ensure the video is actually recorded the right way round instead of
> just having a matrix in some file format header describe the
> orientation.

I did record it in the desired orientation (portrait).

> Probably not something you can easily make happen.

Yes, not many options when doing a phone recording . .

> For HTML5 you can use CSS rotate tags to manually rotate it, but of
> course that means you first need to figure out if it's necessary or
> not.

Yes, I did eventually work out how to do that.

> The same applied to MPlayer and its rotate filter, which you can
> save in a per-file config file.

Yes, and I also eventually worked out how to do that too (as well as the
mencoder or ffmpeg rotation and conversion to webm format) but I
appreciate the explanation re MPlayer and the transformation matrices -
that was confusing!

Regards,

Phil.
--