[MPlayer-users] fullscreen bottom option

Fred Fred.Brockstedt at BeLUG.de
Mon Aug 12 00:36:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

assume you have a 4/3 projector and a 16/9 video file. With the regular
-fs fullscreen option you get two equally sized "black bars" at the top
and bottom. Since it is a projector, it is much more comfortable to
watch the video when it is aligned to the bottom edge of the screen,
thus having a big black bar at the top of the screen.

This can be achieved by expanding the canvas and moving the video down
the same amount of pixels resulting in a video with correct aspect ratio
and black bar at the top. Example:
mplayer   -fs -vf expand=0:-XX:0:XX   test16by9.avi

The height of the black bar XX in pixel can be found easily.
Let X and Y be the resolution of the projector screen in pixel. Let A
and B be the size of the video in pixel. Assume aspect ratio does not
fit and B<Y.
XX := B - (B^2 * X)/(A * Y)

I would love to extend the -fs option to -fsb and -fst respectively
showing the video on bottom or top when played back in fullscreen. Maybe
even -fsr and -fsl moving the video to the right/left most edge of the
screen when showing 4/3 content on a widescreen monitor.

So before I submit any patches, what do you think? Is there an
easier/better solution? Any advise?

Best regards,
Fred