[MPlayer-users] DVD readable but not rippable?

Fabrice Delente delentef at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 13:30:57 CEST 2013

Hello.

This is on gentoo linux, with MPlayer SVN-r36370 (Gentoo)-4.7.3, in a
64-bit setup, on an Intel -based Asus S200E notebook.

I have "The Dark Knight" (by Christopher Nolan) on DVD. I have watched it
with mplayer, without any trouble, except that on startup the first images
appears after a ~30 s delay, but the whole movie plays through.

I've tried ripping it with Dvd::rip to be able to watch it on my Android
tablet, but lsdvd bugs out.

I then tried to rip it with mencoder, it created only the first 3 seconds.
I also tried to dump the stream (mplayer -streamdump dvd://1 -aid 128 -ss
39) so that once I have the stream on disk, I would encode from it (I added
the -ss 39 to skip the producers announcements, and also because dumping
without it stops after 3 seconds). But only 5 minutes of the movie were
dumped...

I don't understand why mplayer can play the whole movie, but not dump the
stream. Also, I'm looking for any hints to help me encode the movie.

Thanks!