[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Dec 11 20:21:06 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 07:05:45AM -0800, James Board wrote:
> >As Reimar explained, both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC
>
> >support yuv422.
>
> I only saw a single response from Reimar and it did not
> mention MPEG-4.  Did I miss one of his repsonses?

I said H.264 aka MPEG-4 AVC aka MPEG-4 part 10.
The FFmpeg encoder with the unfortunate (but historical)
name of "mpeg4" is MPEG-4 ASP aka MPEG-4 part 2, sometimes
(incorrectly) also called DivX or XviD.
Which is why people are completely confused by your
questions.

> However, I'm not really concerned with the standard or
> the spec.  I'd like to know if I can produce MPEG4 files with
> YUV422 pixels with mencoder.

MPEG-4 AVC yes, MPEG-4 ASP no.

> >Before using them, you should ask yourself how
> >you want to play the resulting files though.
>
> Okay.  I want to play the files with mplayer.

Good, because (almost?) no hardware decoders support 422 in
any way, shape or form, no matter the codec.