[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 14 15:04:44 CET 2013

>> libx264 is one of the best AVC encoder available.

>As said, this is not correct, different independent
>tests have shown that no matter how much money you
>spend, you will not get a better encoder.

I don't know what you mean.  Is this more correct?
    libx264 is the best AVC encoder available
Or is this correct?
    libx264 is the best encoder available
or this?
    There are better AVC encoders available
or what do you mean?

>> MPEG-4 ASP: is really MPEG-4 Part 2.
>> This is the standard that is implemented by libav.
>This sentence is extremely misleading.

"Among the >100 codecs implemented within FFmpeg,
MPEG-4 ASP is one of them,

Okay, I understand.

>And since you mentioned MEncoder in your email as
>if it had any relevance when encoding media files
>(and since other people may read this) allow me to
>repeat that MEncoder is not actively maintained and
>should only be used for specific tasks (of which
>you so far have not written in any of your emails),

I use mencoder to 2-pass-encode AVI files with vcodec=mpeg4
at a bitrate of 10,000,000 bits per second.  I have tried to
get ffmpeg to do the same, but either failed, or it was slower.
Feel free to offer an example way of doing this with ffmpeg.

Also, I plan on using mencoder and libx264 to produce MPEG-4
AVC files and 422-format pixels.  Can ffmpeg do this?

>(And concerning your current task: FFmpeg contains
>code that makes sure that no chroma samples get
>lost if the filter chains allow it as in your case.)

I'm not 100 percent sure what this statement means.

I still have problems with 'blue' pixels when converting from
ffhuff-compressed AVI files with yuv422 pixels to non-compressed
AVI files with yuv422 pixels.  I never saw a response to that issue.

Thank you for the time you put into responding with me.