[MPlayer-users] small feature request: add git

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Dec 18 21:13:51 CET 2013

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:20:18AM -0600, Roger Pack wrote:
> > There is git://git.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer but there is no point
> > in pull request because
> > a) you're supposed to send the patches to the list anyway
> > b) there's no point in pulling into a git repo when it needs to
> > end up in the main SVN.
>
> My latest thought re: git and mplayer
> Iss that it would be nice to use some git repository as the
> "canonical" repository (instead of svn) so that it could use git
> submodules and thus be able to "freeze" the ffmpeg dir to certain
> "known working" revisions.  Then it would always compile instead of
> allowing ffmpeg to (at times) break it.

There's no point in mixing up unrelated stuff.
a) specifying a revision is possible without issues. I don't consider it
any more desirable than when FFmpeg was in SVN, so it doesn't have
anything whatsoever to with git, except that last I checked git
submodules support was still rather crap, so I doubt I'd want to use
it even if MPlayer used git as main repo.
b) If you want a "stable" FFmpeg, going with a release branch makes vastly
more sense. Having our copy not include months of security patches
because nobody could be bothered to update the version it points to is a
rather bad idea. This should probably be done for releases (and
probably _instead_ of including FFmpeg in our release tar files).