[MPlayer-users] 6 channel audio, 2 channel card

Paolo Bolzoni paolo.bolzoni.brown at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 15:48:36 CET 2013

Dear list,
I wanted to see a movie with 5.1 audio in my laptop, but the dialogues
were too low so I wanted to play with volumes with the -pan- audio filter.

I downloaded the 6 channel .wav file from (1) and something is wrong.

If I play it in my desktop system with a 5.1 system it works fine, strangely
also my 2 channel laptop I hear all the channel a part of the subwoofer.

Anyhow, to see what is the channel order I tried this:

-af pan=2:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 , as expected everything is silent
-af pan=2:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 , something is strange; I hear from
the left channel
  the front left, center, and back left voices. As far as I understood
I should only
  hear only one channel from its correct speaker.
-af pan=2:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 , same voices as before from the
right channel.
  This is expected since the previous results, but it is strange.

Now, what can possibly happening? Is there some kind of downmix before the
audio filter? Can I disable that?

I am using archlinux with MPlayer SVN-r36498-snapshot-4.8.2

(1) http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Documents/AudioFormats/WAVE/Samples.html