[MPlayer-users] Wrong aspect ratio when playing old mkv files

andrew at WARnux.com andrew at WARnux.com
Sat Dec 28 22:40:36 CET 2013

On 12/27/2013 07:18 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>   <andrew <at> WARnux.com> writes:
>
>>> FFmpeg contains two inverse telecine filters, the (improved)
>>> pullup filter from MPlayer and a (said-to-be) superior
>>> filter named fieldmatch, please rtfm.
>> Thank you!  Finally, I can stop depending upon MEncoder!
>>
>> The docs appear to be wrong:
>> http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#fieldmatch
>> -vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,decimate
>> Causes major audio sync issues,
> Failing command line and complete, uncut console ouput missing;-(
>
>> however, using mpdecimate instead works perfectly:
>> -vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,mpdecimate
> I am not convinced that this command line is supposed to "work",
> it at least cannot produce cfr video which is usually expected
> from inverse telecine filters.
>
>> Also, I was hoping I could do some kind of auto combing
>> feature like Handbrake has by using the line below, but it
>> causes major audio sync and frame skipping issues:
>> -vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,yadif=deint=interlaced,mpdecimate
> Is this from the documentation?
> Without testing, it looks wrong.
>
> Carl Eugen

This is from the docs:
fieldmatch=order=tff:combmatch=full, yadif=deint=interlaced, decimate
but I really don't know what is it supposed to do.  If it is supposed to
act like handbrake where video is automatically inverse telecined, and
de-interlaced, then great.

 > I am not convinced that this command line is supposed to "work",
 > it at least cannot produce cfr video which is usually expected
 > from inverse telecine filters.

Are you saying that
-vf fieldmatch=combmatch=full,decimate
is wrong for inverse telecine?
Noting that the difference is "decimate" (following the docs), not
"mpdecimate".
The way I had it (with mpdecimate) has worked (seemingly) perfect for 3
videos now.