[MPlayer-users] Turning GNOME MPlayer into a normal one

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Feb 24 14:21:09 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 03:01:36PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Reimar Döffinger!
>
>  On 2013.02.23 at 20:02:38 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:
>
> > > I'm not sure about bug report - I'll check this in the future, I just
> > > workaround this bug by using mplayer2.
> > > Basically, as of late some fansubber groups encode anime such way so
> > > it's unplayable by mplayer. It outputs something like
> >
> > No, you blame the wrong people. These are perfectly fine.
> > I am just trying to be clever and get some extra speed and broke things
> > in the process.
> >
> > > [VD_FFMPEG] Сбой DRI.
> >
> > When you see this line for H.264 you know I've been trying
> > this too-clever optimization again.
> > It's been fixed again since a few weeks though...
>
> What? DRI Failure? Well, I always get that message for H.264; nearly all
> files work despite that message, only some fail.

DRI currently isn't supposed to be enabled for H.264, so I think this
message is not supposed to appear in working versions.
It will work for some files, but that is a combination of luck and
inefficient (i.e. actually _bad_) encodes.

> Btw, I wonder if you know about current state of radeon 7xxx cards in
> Linux (with open source driver). Namely, if their driver + GL stack
> works fine in mplayer. Recently released Mesa 9.1 mentions that
> "Gallium3D driver for RadeonSI on Radeon HD 7000 (Southern Islands) is
> more stable and has enough functionality to run composite managers and
> most OpenGL games"

Well, the 3D stack in general works fine for the older ones.
But I have no idea about the newest 7000 series.

> I'm thinking of changing video card to that series, mainly for
> energy-reducing purposes - current one heats up things around it too
> much. I figured that latest series are usually best power-wise, but
> there was problem with opensource driver support for both radeon and
> nvidia cards; looks like things are better right now and I can finally
> do the change.

Uh, the power management does not work even on the HD4000
series with OpenSource drivers, I am quite sure any Radeon card will
become horribly hot until this is fixed.
Are you configuring the card for power saving (echo low >
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile)?

Reimar