[MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 23:03:39 CEST 2013

But are the codecs really lossless?

________________________________
 From: Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com>
To: James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com>; "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports" <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Monday, July 8, 2013 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

Is "raw" YUV 4:2:2, like the input? You may find raw implies RGB, but it may default to whatever pixel format comes out of the codec. That'd make it bigger, anyway.

You also mention "VY12" by which I assume you mean YV12, which is a 4:2:0 format with lower chroma resolution. If mencoder is maintaining the chroma dimensions, then yes it will be smaller than a 4:2:2 input, by about a sixth.

There are also a number of different ways of building AVI files, with various types of interleaving and chunk sizes, which could account for a reasonably small difference in file sizes.

As regards precision, these sorts of codecs are theoretically capable of providing bit-exact results, but real world, practical implementations of them may not due to scaling and rounding errors, etc. This should not affect the file size as raw output of the same resolution and pixel format should be the same size regardless of image content.