[MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 18:19:03 CEST 2013

________________________________
From: Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:14 AM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> * ljpeg: lossless jpeg
> * ffv1: FFmpeg's lossless video codec
> * ffvhuff: nonstandard 20% smaller HuffYUV using VY12

ffv1 should beat the others in compression for any input
video, since it supports multi-threading, it should at
least not be significantly slower than the other two on
modern hardware.

Since you apparently don't know:
MEncoder is not an actively maintained application for
several years, please use FFmpeg (which now supports
an inverse telecine filter that is slower but more
accurate than pullup).

Carl Eugen