[MPlayer-users] Are mencoder lossless codecs really lossless?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jul 11 21:28:26 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:08:47AM -0700, James Board wrote:
> Sorry.  I had thought long lines were preferable since most mail
> clients will reformat the mail text according to the size of the client
> window, which is different for everyone, and this gets ugly when the
> email message already has newlines in them.

Off-topic and probably not really worth wasting time on,
but:
While the mail client window size may differ, human eyes
and brains don't really, and they seem to have optimal
readability somewhere below 60 characters per line.
Even if one had a mail client that could break lines
to that even though the window is much larger (I know
of none), that would still leave the issue that it
would also end up adding line breaks to parts that would
seriously suffer in readability, like code snippets
for example.
Thus manual line breaks is still the best way to get
something that results in both text and e.g. code with overlong
lines to be readable.
And I'm sure it's possible to find counter-arguments,
but if you really need to shout them out, please be nicer
than me and send it only to me and not the whole list :-)

Reimar