[MPlayer-users] Fw: Using ffmpeg or mencoder to edit files with a edit list

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 18:15:59 CEST 2013

> Well, I am convinced that it does. Well, not only convinced, I KNOW that

> it works and audio is kept in sync.

Okay, I will try it.

>> What I'm looking for is a way to have all of the edits in a single
>> file, with one sequence per line of the file.  The format would be
>>     SegmentStart_1    SegmentEnd_1    1
>>     SegmentStart_2    SegmentEnd_2   1
>
>OK. What is the 1 at then end for? How does it look in reality?

The 1 at the end tells mencoder to delete the video segment.  If you
put 0 there, then it only deletes (mutes) the audio segment.

>What is the reason they must be done all at once? Why do you not want it
>to be done in two steps? Many things in encoding are done in two steps.

No good reason, I guess.  If two steps works, then that's okay with me.
What is the easiest way to concatenate the segments?

>Just a question: Are you looking for a practical solution for something
>you are working on that works or are you more looking for a theoretical
>solution? i.e. just looking if it is possible.

Yes, I am looking for a practical solution.  I want to capture video from
my DVR, then delete the commercials.  So, for a one hour show, I might
have to concatenate 4 or 5 segments.

As an aside, I see your email is houghi at houghi.org.  Do you have your
own domain name and your own email server?  I'd like to do that: my own
domain and my own email server.  How difficult is that to configure?

Thanks for all your help.