[MPlayer-users] vo_sdl crash with latest svn

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jun 11 20:50:33 CEST 2013

It should be fixed in latest SVN.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:27:14PM +0200, Walter Alejandro Iglesias wrote:
> Using sdl video output and changing resolution in fullscreen crashes mplayer
> and let my desktop in a weird resolution.

I'm kind of curious why you are using SDL output.
It kind of works really badly, even when it doesn't crash.
And in my opinion it also crashes a lot, even disregarding this
specific bug.

> That happens with the latest mplayer
> release and the latest mplayer svn snapshot downloaded from mplayer site and
> copiled both with default options.  It does NOT happen with debian binary
> provided version (to be sure it wasn't a compile option used by Debian I've
> tried compiling this git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-multimedia/mplayer.git and it
> works like debian binary, it doesn't crash).

I can't imagine any other reason than pure chance.
I believe the issue I fixed at least has been there since a long time,
if not forever.
However there might be one additional issue (which I did not fix),
which might cause this issue to not be visible if you compile
with runtime cpudetection enabled.

> I've compiled the svn mplayer with --enable-debug and ran `gdb mplayer'.  But
> using gdb X crashes totally and doesn't let me do the backtrace step :).

I'm quite sure it doesn't crash X. It just keeps the MPlayer window in
front of everything else, making it completely unusable.
The solution to this is to just start gdb + mplayer from one of the text
VTs.