[MPlayer-users] Can't get mplayer -tv to play back audio input

Christian Jaeger chrjae at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 14:36:45 CET 2013

I'm trying to play (and later on record, using mencoder (?)) video from a
USB frame grabber device. The following shows video, but not audio. Why?

  mplayer -tv 'device=/dev/video0:driver=v4l2:alsa:adevice=hw.0,0' -vf
kerndeint tv://

I've connected my audio to the builtin audio, hw:0,0, and can confirm that

  arecord -r 48000 -D hw:0,0 -f S16_LE -c 2|aplay

plays back the audio. So, what's missing for mplayer?

IIRC mplayer shows a line that says "no audio".

(Since hw:0,0 is standard builtin audio of the PC, I don't expect it to
need special sample rate parameters or such to work.)

This is on Ubuntu 13.10.

Thanks,

Christian.