[MPlayer-users] udp buffer

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 20:28:25 CET 2013

On 10/21/13, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, does MPlayer when it receives udp://XXX use (what
> FFmpeg calls, anyway) a dedicated thread with a buffer for receiving
> the UDP packets, to attempt to minimize packet loss?  Just wondering.
> Thank you.

Thanks to the previous tip from Reimar, I discovered this works:

mplayer ffmpeg://udp://127.0.0.1:2000
or
mplayer ffmpeg://udp://127.0.0.1:2000?fifo_size=1000000 for instance
(normal ffmpeg parameters).

This one does have a circular background buffer collecting packets,
and, AFAICT, is more effective at avoiding dropped packets, so thanks!
-roger-