[MPlayer-users] MPlayer's sensitivity to disk activity

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Fri Nov 29 21:59:05 CET 2013

Le Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:35:33 +0100 (CET),
Wiebe Cazemier <wiebe at halfgaar.net> a écrit :

> I'm a poet and I don't know it :)
>
> Anyway, I was wondering. When I have µTorrent open, MPlayer has a
> tendency to get jerky. However, the same file under the same
> conditions plays perfectly on Xine. I've had this problem for years,
> and I mostly just play files with Xine when µTorrent is running.
>
> Over the years, I've also experimented with different cache sizes.
> I've tried everything from no cache to hundreds of megabytes. I also
> tried experimenting with the cache-min setting. But, the problem
> persists.
>
> It's unrelated to using vdpau or not.
>
> From what I gather, Mplayer uses the audio to synchronize. Is that
> why it's more sensitive, perhaps? BTW, I've had this issue on my SB
> Live and new Asus Xonar DX.
>
> Is there something else to try? I like Mplayer a lot better, with is
> snappy seek and proper keyboard control, and I hope to solve this
> issue.
>
> My system:
>
> Archlinux
> Kernel 3.10.10-1-ARCH
> Athlon X2 3800+ (Dual core 2 Ghz)
> 2 GB RAM
> 2x WD15EARS-00Z5B1 in RAID1 (md RAID).
> Alsa 1.0.27
> No pulseaudio

I never get that issue running amule at the same time than mplayer,
that even on much slower machines and using both -rt and standard
kernels (stock Debian and gentoo-sources for the later). I have JACK
running all the time from years.

Did you try to increase mplayer priority?

Dominique