[MPlayer-users] How do I debug this one? mplayer ftp problem

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Oct 2 21:27:41 CEST 2013

Hello,

I seem to remember I saw an answer to my email as well,
but it seems it didn't end up on the list?
Anyway...

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:52:10AM +0100, Dave Saville wrote:
> [ftp] < 220 SLUG FTP server (Topfield ftpd 0.7.7) ready.
> [ftp] > USER foo
> [ftp] < 331 Guest login ok, type your name as password.
> [ftp] > PASS bar
> [ftp] < 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> [ftp] > TYPE I
> [ftp] < 200 Type set to I.
> [ftp] > SIZE DataFiles/NCIS.rec
> [ftp] < 213 1095297024
> Streams need a type!
> STREAM: [ftp] ftp://foo:bar@slug/DataFiles/NCIS.rec
> STREAM: Description: File Transfer Protocol
> STREAM: Author: Albeu
> STREAM: Comment: reuse a bit of code from ftplib written by Thomas Pfau
> [ftp] > PASV
> [ftp] < 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,106,16,11)
> [ftp] > RETR DataFiles/NCIS.rec
> [ftp] < 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for
> 'DataFiles/NCIS.rec' (1095297024 bytes).

This sounds like it might try to actually open a new connection?
That will fail, MPlayer expects it to answer through the
connection it opened to
192.168.0.106, port 16*256+11
Possibly capturing the data with wireshark or such might give
hints what kind of data it sends.
Also, since I don't see any messages about it:
Are you using a cache (-cache 10240 for example)?
It might help avoiding some issues if the ftp server
does not like clients that respond slowly.