[MPlayer-users] modify MPlayer input parameter

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 10 22:58:10 CEST 2013

On 09.09.2013, at 09:43, Saman Tabatabaeian <saman_tabatabaeian at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to modify mplayer source to take my input instead of reading from local drive. I receive 25 images per second via UDP network and need to use mplayer to update and show each images on its arrival.
>
> As I am a newbie to MPlayer source, I have no idea what files I need to modify and how. Could anyone please explain the process to me and if possible send me a patch so that i can understand it.

We would know far more details to even know how to solve this.
But as generic hints, FFmpeg supports some udp protocol I believe and you should be able to use this via a URL in the style of ffmpeg://udp:// in MPlayer.
If this is a completely custom protocol and you already wrote a program to receive the data, you can also create a fifo and have your program write the receive data into it, while making MPlayer read from the other end. Or even just use pipe with MPlayer reading from stdin.
There are loads of other options, including implementing support for your protocol in MPlayer or FFmpeg directly, but that is a bit more advanced.
Or if you don't care about the protocol you could just use rtsp to send the data.