[MPlayer-users] ass subtitles, vo gl and amd video

Mon Sep 23 21:56:22 CEST 2013

Hi Nick Koretsky!

 On 2013.09.23 at 17:37:16 +0300, Nick Koretsky wrote next:

> It can be avoided using -vf ass but than i get blurry subs like vo xv.
> I tried dsize,scale,ass trick but apparently a8 is not fast
> enough to decode highbitrate 10-bit encode and do software scaling at the
> same time - video jerks on complex scenes...
>
> attached is an example of offending subs

It's not software scaling that makes it slow, it's -vf ass filter
itself: I tested it on Core i5 2500 system which has more than enough
power for software scaling (in fact, I use it all the time to scale to
2560:-2), and it literally dies on rendering these subtitles even in -vf
ass filter when rendering them at high resolutiion.
E.g. this system still can still handle -vo x11 -vf scale=1920:-2,ass
but starts to lag/framedrop at -vo x11 -vf scale=2560:-2,ass

Somehow these subtitles render as complete garbage for me (oversized
overlapping letters), but while mplayer has major problems rendering
them both with -vo gl and -vf ass methods, mpv player works great and
has no performance problems at all. Give it a try, maybe :)