[MPlayer-users] ass subtitles, vo gl and amd video

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 24 12:04:39 CEST 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 13:53:15 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

> Hi wm4!
>
>  On 2013.09.24 at 11:18:28 +0200, wm4 wrote next:
>
> > All that sounds like there aren't any issues in mplayer or mpv, just
> > that 1. different libass versions with different bugs (up to mplayer's
> > completely retarded builtin copy, which is slightly modified compared
>
> But mplayer doesn't use internal libass by default. So even if you
> update it in tree, it'll still build with system-wide libass
> 0.10.1 (which is latest release), unless user fiddles with configure

That's good to hear.

> switches. Quite unlike mpv which builds with fresh git libass checkout
> by default and ignores system one.

mpv-build is a separate repository, and its whole point is to build it
with non-system libraries (vanilla mpv always uses system libraries).
Anyway, I'd recommend using libass git over the (outdated) latest
release.

> > to official libass, you should fix that), and 2. your OpenGL driver is
> > severely broken.
>
> It (fglrx) has known glitches, yes. A hugest glitch that's been around
> mplayer lately is inability to switch desktop if mplayer (or mpv etc)
> that uses opengl driver is opened in fullscreen - desktop will switch,
> but mplayer window will still cover the whole screen (and it's unrelated
> to -fstype); in addition, even staying on the same desktop it's
> impossible to make a screenshot of fullscreen opengl mplayer, you'd
> always get something like normal or distorted desktop with empty mplayer
> window on it.

Broken OpenGL driver, alright. I heard Mesa is getting pretty good for
AMD hardware these days.