[MPlayer-users] ass subtitles, vo gl and amd video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 24 23:12:55 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 01:09:12PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Reimar Döffinger!
>
>  On 2013.09.24 at 09:43:53 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:
>
> > >I don't know of a way to force vf_ass-like rendering on mpv, so I only
> > >checked default rendering with -vo opengl-hq - no performance problems
> > >at all, but subtitles look quite a bit sharper than in mplayer. Idk
> > >why,
> > >but for some reason mplayer always renders subtitles in 1.ass blurry
> > >for
> > >me (not the case with other subtitles and 2.ass), while mpv renders
> > >font
> > >edges sharp, as they're (I think) supposed to be.
> >
> > 1.ass and 2.ass are supposed to look exactly the same.
> > I see exactly two possibilities:
> > 1) (likely) I misunderstood how line-drawing clipping is supposed to work. The way 2.ass and mpv render is just wrong, and the reason for the performance difference.
> > 2) libass implements the line drawing clipping wrongly. That should mean that mpv uses a different fork of libass than the one you tried with MPlayer.
>
> Let's see, are we even seeing the same thing?
>
> Here is how 1.ass looks in mplayer:
> http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mplayer-sub1.jpg
> Here is how it mostly looks in mpv:
> http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub1.jpg
> except for glitch that happens sometimes:
> http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub1-glitch.jpg
>
> As you can see, mplayer renders subtitle way too blurry. Is it really
> supposed to be like that?
>
> Here is how 2.ass looks in mplayer
> http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mplayer-sub2.jpg
> and mpv
> http://lime.hacked.jp/sub/mpv-sub2.jpg

I'm sorry, I am afraid I am mostly too blind/stupid to properly
spot the differences.
But I suspect I found a solution for the speed issue with -vf ass,
maybe you could try the attached patch?
Not sure if I might have made some stupid mistakes, so testing
would be good before I try to get it upstream.
For -vo gl it seems to "only" about double the speed, which
isn't really good enough.